Albert-Ludwigs-Universität

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität
Uni Logo

Monday, November 8, 2010

Culture Clash

The "give and take" of cultures that occurs abroad is, I think, the hardest aspect to deal with. You know what your own cultural norms and traditions are. These norms in turn define you, make you "you". But now you are presented with this new way of life, and it starts to make a new "you". However this way of life is only temporary. So, then the question becomes, does one lose herself entirely to the new way of life. Does she hold on to her old self, knowing any changes are temporary? Is there a balance? How do you find that balance?

For example, I am usually kind of an independent person. I like to do things by myself and make my own decisions. However in Germany, I live in a flat with 5 other people. So any decision I make effects them, so a lot of times I have to ask them before doing anything within the flat. I think that in America, we are so used to making independent and quick decisions, that to ask 5 other people seems so annoying. But thats they way it is here, so do I adapt my way of my decisions? Do I gather a lot of info and opinions before I make a decision or do I stick with the american way? :"Quick, looks good, lets do it"

No comments:

Post a Comment